Jean Theobald Wide Acres History Research Files, 1990-2004
Scope and Contents
These files contain Jean Theobald's research on the history of the Wide Acres residential area in Jefferson County, Colorado. The Daniels Welchester Neighborhood Association asked Theobald to do this history in the late 1990s.
Wide Acres was developed in the 1920s by W.A.J. Bell as a country living environment for successful businessmen who worked in Denver and could commute there on the Interurban streetcar. Its perimeters were marked with large, stone pillars with green shingled roofs. Most of the houses still exist, including former Governor Vivian's residence at One Orchard Rd. Wide Acres encompasses an area north and south of West Colfax Avenue between Hawthorne Road and Meadowsweet Road.
Collection contains background research on the area and a file for each house researched. Files for particular houses may include photos, narrative, research notes, title search, landscaping information and biographical information on its residents.
- Theobald, Jean L. (Researcher, Person)
- Yehle, Lynn A. (Researcher, Person)
- Wagenbach, Lorraine (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
0.35 Cubic Feet (1 Letter-sized document box)
Language of Materials
Arranged by address.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Archives by Jean Theobald in 2018.
Processed by Ronda Frazier in 2019
- Bell, W. A. J.
- Daniels Welchester Neighborhood Association (Golden, Colo.)
- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Real estate development -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Research notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Wide Acres Land Company -- Real estate development -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- History
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Jefferson County Archives Repository
3500 Illinois Street
Golden CO 80401 United States