Justice of the Peace Docket Books, 1867-1966
Scope and Contents
Docket books of civil and criminal cases heard before Jefferson County Justices of the Peace. The dockets provide narrative summaries of the proceedings. Information includes names of plaintiff and defendant, name of JP and precinct number, charge, dates and kinds of filings, dates and notes on proceedings, plea, disposition, judgment, sentence, fine and court costs. Civil books may also contain ists of marriages performed by the JP. Supplementary records such as summons, motions, receipts, etc. sometimes may accompany docket sheets.
- Record Keeping: 1867-1966
- Shannon, Daniel J. (Judge, Person)
- Dowling, Leigh D. (Judge, Person)
- Beckman, Irwin W. (Judge, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
21.1 Cubic Feet (231 Volumes) : Bound volumes and one photocopy (loose sheets)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Early volumes received in a transfer of records from the Clerk and Recorder's Office in 1998 with the exception of Vol. 5, a photocopy donated to the Archives by Alex Kalla in 1999, and Vol. 231, a photocopy donated to the Archives by the Foothills Genealogical Society in 2019. Many of the later volumes were transferred to the Archives in 2015 from the Colorado State Archives.
Processed by Ronda Frazier in 2015 and 2019.
- Court records -- Colorado -- Jefferson County -- Dockets Subject Source: Local sources
- Dockets Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Justices of the peace -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Dockets Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marriage records -- Colorado -- Jefferson County Subject Source: Local sources
- Police magistrates -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Dockets Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Jefferson County Archives Repository
3500 Illinois Street
Golden CO 80401 United States