Doris B. Osterwald Papers, 1978-1979
Collection contains draft articles and research material prepared for Jefferson County, Colorado's Outdoor Education Lab, by Doris B. Osterwald, Specialist in Residence, Jefferson County Outdoor Education Lab. The first draft is titled "Teacher's Guide for the Short Geology Trail, Jefferson County Outdoor Education School," written in 1979 to explain geologic features found along the school's short geology trail. The second draft, "Front Range and Windy Peak Geology," was intended as background information for teachers, dated circa 1978. Also included is research material related to glacial geology in Montana.
- Osterwald, Doris B. (Author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
Biographical / Historical
Doris Ray Beck Osterwald was born March 29, 1921 to Carl Beck, a noted landscape artist, and Nora Ray, a concert pianist. Doris graduated from East High School in 1939 and majored in geology at the University of Denver, graduating in 1944. She then enlisted in the U.S. Navy WAVEs. She got her Master's Degree at the University of Wyoming, where she met Frank William Osterwald. They were married in 1947. In 1965, she started writing the Mile by Mile Guide book series and created Western Guideways, Ltd. In between writing guidebooks, Doris taught geology at the Jefferson County Outdoor Education Labs near Evergreen and Bailey for seven years. Doris Osterwald died March 27, 2014.
0.10 Cubic Feet (One small collection envelope)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Archives by the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy, in 2019.
- Final drafts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Geology -- Front Range (Colo. and Wyo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Glaciology -- Montana -- Research Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Colo.). Outdoor Education Lab
- Research notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Denver Public Library. Western History/Genealogy Department (Donor, Organization)
- Language of description
- Script of description