Public Trustee Foreclosure Registers, 1895-1978
Scope and Contents
The Public Trustee's Register of Foreclosures lists name of property owner (grantor); date of deed; date the Demand for Sale was filed with the Trustee; newspapers the Notice of Sale was published in; date the property was sold; name of purchaser; dollar amount the property sold for; legal description of property; and Public Trustee's Certificate of Purchase.
- Record Keeping: 1895-1978
- Jefferson County (Colo.). Public Trustee (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
Biographical / Historical
Colorado is the only state in the Union with a Public Trustee system in place. The Governor of Colorado appoints the Jefferson County Public Trustee. All actions of the Office are strictly governed by Chapter 38 of the Colorado Revised Statutes. Duties consist of:
1. Administration of Deeds of Trust within the county that name the Public Trustee as Trustee. This includes releasing Deeds of Trust when a loan has been satisfied and foreclosing on Deeds of Trust in the event of default. The Deed of Trust is an agreement between the Grantor (owner), the Public Trustee (who has the power of sale) and the Beneficiary (lender).
2. The Public Trustee is also responsible for the collection of tax accounts for Land Purchase Contracts for Deed within the County.
Foreclosure is the forced sale of a piece of property to repay a debt. Foreclosures are conducted by the Public Trustee on Deeds of Trust containing a power of sale (right to sell property at public auction in the event of default). A foreclosure is commenced when a Notice of Election and Demand is recorded in the county's real estate records after the Public Trustee receives the required documentation from the foreclosing party or their legal advisor. Foreclosure notices are mailed to all parties. The Combined Notice, which establishes the time and place of sale, is published for five consecutive weeks in the local newspapers. Foreclosure sales are held weekly at the Jefferson County courthouse.
(Information from "Why a Public Trustee," by Margaret Chapman in Historically Jeffco magazine, 2011)
3.30 Cubic Feet (11 Volumes) : Bound
Language of Materials
Arranged by foreclosure number. Volume is indexed.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred to the Archives by the Public Trustee's office in 1999.
Materials Specific Details
Spine of book labeled "Public Trustee Notice" or "Public Trustee Record" with two different formats but the information inside is the same.
Processed by Ronda Frazier in 2012
- Foreclosure -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Registers (Lists) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Property records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Real property -- Ownership -- Jefferson County (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description