Citizen Petitions, 1868-1961 (Bulk 1868-1939)
Scope and Contents
Small collection of petitions appealing to the Board of County Commissioners with respect to particular causes. Petitions were filed with the Clerk and Recorder and contain the names and addresses (or city of residence) of concerned citizens. Early petitions include establishing or changing voting precincts and declaring certain areas "Anti-Saloon Territory" while later petitions encourage or protest the granting of liquor licenses as well as other important issues. Collection does not include road petitions, property tax abatement petitions or legal pleadings. Complete finding aid available containing list of petitions.
- Record Keeping: 1868-1961
- Majority of material found within 1868-1939
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
Biographical / Historical
Petitions are written requests and lists of signatures submitted to an authority to appeal for the performance of a specific action, in this case to the Jefferson County Board of County Commissioners.
0.70 Cubic Feet (One legal document box, one slim legal document box)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred to the Archives with a large variety of different records in 1998 by the Clerk and Recorder's office.
Processed by Ronda Frazier in August, 2019.
- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Colo.). Board of County Commissioners -- petitions
- Licenses -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Petitions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Officials and employees -- Selection and appointment -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Petitions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Polling places -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Petitions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Jefferson County Archives Repository
3500 Illinois Street
Golden CO 80401 United States