Archives Postcard Collection, circa 1907-1970
Scope and Contents
A collection of postcards gathered from numerous accessions into one box by the Archives. All are numbered with their original accession number identifying donor and related collection.
Images represent Denver Mountain Parks: The Lariat Loop, Lookout Mountain and Buffalo Bill’s Grave, and Park of the Red Rocks; Mt. Evans; Tiny Town; Bear Creek Canon; Clear Creek Canon; Denver City buildings; Lutheran Sanatorium; the Colorado School of Mines emblem above Golden; Jefferson County Courthouse; Sinclair dinosaur exhibit at the 1933 World’s Fair; and miscellaneous mountain roads.
The majority of the color postcards are standard 3½ x 5½ inches of various eras (linen, white border, early divided back). There are, however, 18 miniature cards with black and white images measuring 2⅛ x 3⅜ inches, and one jumbo souvenir card of the Georgetown Loop.
Complete finding aid available, grouped by subject, with photos.
- Publication: circa 1907-1970
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
0.90 Cubic Feet (One card file box, one small collection envelope)
640 Megabytes (Scanned as .jpg files)
Language of Materials
Physical postcards arranged numerically by item (accession) number. Finding aid grouped by subject.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
• Postcard 2010-015-PC01 was found at a flea market in Iowa and sent to the archivist in 1994 by Mr. L.G. Joerg of Fairmont, MN.
• Postcards 2016-001-PC01 to PC18 were donated to the Archives in 2016 by Diane Illo.
• Postcards 2017-002-PC01 to PC66 are part of the Morrison History Collection, donated to the Archives in 2017 by Sally White.
• Digital images of postcards 2019-014-PC01 to PC07 were provided to the Archives in 2019 by Cynthia Shaw.
• Postcards 2021-005-PC01 to PC10 were purchased by the archivist for the Archives.
Processed by Ronda Frazier in May, 2021.
- Courthouses -- Jefferson County (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Denver (Colo.) -- picture postcards
- Denver Mountain Parks (Colo.) -- picture postcards
- Georgetown Loop Historic Mining and Railroad Park (Colo.) -- Picture postcards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Golden (Colo.) -- Picture postcards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lariat Loop Mountain Gateway -- picture postcards Subject Source: Local sources
- Lookout Mountain (Jefferson County, Colo.) -- picture postcards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lutheran Hospital -- Wheat Ridge (Colo.) -- Picture postcards Subject Source: Local sources
- Morrison (Colo.) -- History -- Picture postcards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mount Morrison (Colo.) -- Picture postcards Subject Source: Local sources
- Picture postcards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Red Rocks Park (Colo.) -- picture postcards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tiny Town (Colo.) -- Photographic postcards Subject Source: Local sources
- Language of description
- Script of description