Bright and Brown Lateral Ditch Company Records, 1886-1980
Collection of various types of record books and documents of the Bright and Brown Lateral Ditch Company, located in Arvada, Colorado.
Sub-series I contains bound record books. The first is an accounting journal dated 1955-1971, containing assessments, expenses and transfers. The first 20 pages of the book have been cut out. Next are the Record of Proceedings (minutes) books, of which there are three covering 1882-1966. The first five pages of the earliest book appear to have been used as a secretary's book of stock issued for the North Mosquito Consolidated Mining Company, from 1882 to 1884. These pages contain a list of names with the amount of shares assigned over to the mining company as working capital. The relationship to the Bright and Brown Lateral Ditch Company is unknown. Pages 7-17 contain minutes of the first meeting of the Bright and Brown Lateral Ditch Company, held on December 29, 1886. The By-Laws follow. Page 20 starts use as a record book (1887-1911) containing minutes, expenses and assessments. There are many blank pages up to page 163, where there are a few more pages of accounting dated 1887-1902. The second (1912-1945) and third (1942-1966) record of proceedings books contain meeting minutes, certificate of incorporation, notices to stockholders, and clippings of meeting notices published in the newspapers.
Next, there are five Stock Certificate Books dated 1887-1980. They show the number of shares, name and address to whom issued and the date of issue. There are name indexes for the first two books.
Next is a Stock Ledger containing record of stock transfers. It covers transactions dated 1912-1953 and has a name index in the front. A second stock-related ledger (1942-1944) lists name and address of share holders with assessments.
The Treasurer's Record Book (1908-1953) lists expenses and liabilities, receipts and disbursements, and names of stockholders with number of shares. It also contains financial statements and treasurer's reports.
Sub-series II, Miscellaneous Documents (1912-1980), contains correspondence, notices, legal documents, court records (Vollmuth et al v Bicknell et al), assessments, handwritten minutes, annual reports, payments and deposits, publishers affidavits, proxy statements, lists of users with number of shares, a 1950 right-of-way agreement with the Colorado and Wyoming Gas Co., conveyance deeds, a 1972 maintenance agreement between the City of Arvada and Hackberry Hill Ltd., and certificates of renewal. These documents are foldered by decade.
Sub-series III, Miscellaneous Other (1919-1959), contains the By-Laws of the Farmers' High Line Canal and Reservoir Company, adopted Dec. 1, 1959; a Colorado State College Extension Service publication entitled "Measurement of Irrigation on the Farm" by Floyd E. Brown, published May, 1942; a Colorado State College Experiment Station Bulletin (No. 423) entitled "The Parshall Measuring Flume" by Ralph L. Parshall, published March 1936; and lastly, a rubber stamp for the treasurer's signature, circa 1919.
- Record Keeping: 1882-1884
- Record Keeping: 1886-1980
- Bright and Brown Lateral Ditch Company (Arvada (Colo.)) (Organization)
- Colorado State University. Extension (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
Biographical / Historical
The Bright and Brown Lateral Ditch Company was incorporated in 1887 by Oliver L. Bright, Hiram R. Brown, and James M. McKay, to construct and operate a ditch conveying water from The Farmers' High Line Canal and Reservoir Company's ditch, supplied by Clear Creek, to the Hackberry Hill area in Arvada. The water was to be used for irrigation and domestic purposes.
1.13 Cubic Feet (Two document boxes, one slim document box (legal))
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Archives by Matthew Ramos in January, 2023.
Processed by Ronda Frazier in February, 2023.
- Account books Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Annual reports Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Arvada (Colo.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Business enterprises -- Arvada (Colo.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Corporations -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Capital stock Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farmers' High Line Canal and Reservoir Company (Colo.)
- Irrigation canals and flumes -- Colorado -- Jefferson County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minute books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- North Mosquito Consolidated Mining Company (Colo.)
- Record books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Records and correspondence Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Rubber stamps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Stock certificates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Water supply -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ramos, Matthew (Donor, Person)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Jefferson County Archives Repository
3500 Illinois Street
Golden CO 80401 United States