Fremont School Records, 1893-1938
Collection contains the first graduation program from the Jessie Benton Fremont School in Arvada, dated June 2, 1893; five class photos dated circa 1920 to 1938; and the Fremont Literary Society minute book, dated 1899 to 1907. (The literary society minute book is missing several pages.)
- Event: 1893
- Record Keeping: 1899-1907
- circa 1920-1938
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
Biographical / Historical
The original school in the Fremont area west of Arvada was built in 1864 across Ralston Road from the present Fremont School. An adobe building called Grant School, named for the Grant voting precinct there, it was later destroyed in a storm.
In 1891, the first portion of the present school was constructed on land originally owned by John Clark and Nils Ahlstrom. The two-room, brick building was called Fremont School, named for Jessie Benton Frémont, daughter of the senator from Missouri, who eloped with the western explorer, John C. Frémont. In 1948, an addition was made to this school. Several more have been added since reorganization in 1950.
Fremont School originally taught students from first through 12th grades. The first high school graduating class consisted of four students in 1893. The school was formerly in District No. 6 and is currently a Jefferson County R-1 school.
The Fremont Literary Society was organized in February 1899. The Society established its constitution "in order to better fit ourselves as public speakers and learn the principles of Parliamentary Law." Membership was made of pupils, teachers, and citizens of School District No. 6. Programs consisted of recitations, funny sayings, papers, songs, and instrumental music.
0.10 Cubic Feet (One small collection envelope)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Archives by Matthew Ramos in January, 2023.
Processed and Scanned by Ronda Frazier, February 2023.
- Arvada (Colo.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Commencement ceremonies -- Eighteen nineties -- Colorado Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frémont, Jessie Benton, 1824-1902 (Attributed name)
- Jefferson County Public Schools. (Jefferson County, Colo.)
- Literature Societies, etc. -- Colorado -- Minute books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minute books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Public schools -- Colorado -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ramos, Matthew (Donor, Person)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Jefferson County Archives Repository
3500 Illinois Street
Golden CO 80401 United States