Jefferson County Abstract Company Maps, 1867-1949
Scope and Contents
This collection of maps contains 530 maps on 302 sheets. The majority of the maps are tracings of subdivision plats recorded among the official records of the Jefferson County Clerk and Recorder’s Office. Also included are surveys by former county surveyors, maps showing road, railroad, or ditch rights of way, and a few miscellaneous surveys made by private engineers or county surveyors. The maps date from 1867 to 1949 and were compiled and/or collected by the former Jefferson County Abstract Company of Golden, Colorado. Dates are the dates the plat was recorded, in most cases. Rehoused from the folders they were originally found in to map boxes. Original order maintained. Many sheets contain multiple tracings.
- Existence: 1867-1949
- Jefferson County Abstract Company (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
Biographical / Historical
The Jefferson County Abstract Company was once housed in the Jefferson County courthouse. Claude B. White purchased the company in 1925 and ran it until shortly before his death. His son Richard took over in 1940. In 1946, the White family purchased the Coors building on Washington Ave. in Golden and the company moved out of the courthouse. It operated there at 1120 Washington Avenue for many more years.
13.26 Cubic Feet (26 map boxes containing 530 maps) ; Dimensions range from 24-38" width x 18-72" length; the majority measuring 37" x 45-51"
Language of Materials
Tracings of recorded subdivision plats; surveys by former county surveyors; maps showing road, railroad, or ditch rights of way; and miscellaneous maps created by private engineers or surveyors all compiled and/or collected by the former Jefferson County Abstract Company of Golden, Colorado.
In numerical order as originally received.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Mr. and Mrs. F.A. (Heinie) Foss donated the collection of maps to Jefferson County in 1992. The Foss’s, in care of the Mesa Meadows Land Company, had recently purchased the Golden Mercantile and Coors buildings in Golden. These maps were found in the basement of the Coors building, which once housed the Jefferson County Abstract Co.
Existence and Location of Originals
Original subdivision plats are on file with the Clerk and Recorder, Recording office.
Processed by Ronda Frazier in 2009. Revised September 2020.
Genre / Form
- Language of description
- Script of description