Robert F. Clement Papers, 1966-1977
Scope and Contents
Personal papers of Jefferson County Commissioner Robert F. Clement, Commissioner from 1973-1981. Collection includes correspondence, certificates of election and oath of office. Also included are documents pertaining to the incorporation election of the proposed "Jefferson City" in 1969. Clement was an election commissioner for the election and also ran for the office of Alderman. This folder includes lists of election commissioners, election judges and precinct workers; vote tallies; petitions; court filing; candidate flyers; maps of proposed election precincts; proposed budget figures; and newspaper clippings about the election.
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
Biographical / Historical
Robert F. Clement moved to Jefferson County from his native Oklahoma in 1951. He was a successful home builder in Jefferson County for over 20 years. Commissioner Clement spearheaded the county's acquisition of the Hiwan Homestead Museum, actively promoted the preservation of Jefferson County's history, and was a strong advocate of the Open Space program. He was named to the Jefferson County Historical Commission's Hall of Fame in 1979, and Clement Park is named for him. Prior to his election as Commissioner, Clement was active in the incorporation of the city of Lakewood, served on its first City Council and as Mayor Pro Tem, and was chairman of the Alameda Water and Sanitation District. Clement served as a commissioner for district two from 1973 until his death in 1981.
0.10 Cubic Feet (1 File)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Personal papers of Commissioners Marjorie "Bunny" Clement and Robert Clement, and documents regarding the incorporation election of the proposed "Jefferson City," were donated to the archives by Angie D'Aurio, from the estate of Bunny Clement in 2004. No transfer form found, date received listed in an accession log but collection was not accessioned at that time.
- Clement , Robert F., 1917-1981 (Associated name)
- Commissioners (government officials) -- Jefferson County (Colo.) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- County government -- Officials and employees -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Elections -- Colorado -- Jefferson County -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Officials and employees -- Oaths Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Colo.). Board of County Commissioners -- History
- Lakewood (Colo.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Jefferson County Archives Repository
3500 Illinois Street
Golden CO 80401 United States