Lindsay Ranch Reports and Research, 1988-2003
Scope and Contents
Reports and research materials related to the historic Lindsay Ranch located on the former Rocky Flats property in Arvada, Colorado. There was an effort in 2000, supported by County Commissioner Pat Holloway, to determine if the property qualified for National or State Historic Register listing, and if so, to ensure preservation of the ranch after the decommissioning of Rocky Flats. This collection is a compiliation of materials gathered by the archives.
- Record Keeping: 1988-2003
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
Biographical / Historical
The historic Lindsay Ranch property is located in the Rocky Flats National Wildlife Refuge. The ranch was purchased by George and Susan Lindsay in 1941. The Lindsays never lived on the property but John Lutz, ranch foreman, and his wife Evelyn did and operated the ranch until 1951 when the government bought it to construct a nuclear weapons manufacturing plant. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service opened much of the site to visitors in late 2018. The central area, where production of plutonium triggers for nuclear weapons occurred, remains closed.
0.25 Cubic Feet (One slim document box)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This compilation of materials were gathered by former Jefferson County archivist Duncan McCollum in 2006.
Processed by Ronda Frazier in 2016.
- Language of description
- Script of description