Pioneer Child: The Memoirs of Sarah Ann Baker, 1938
Scope and Contents
These memoirs, written by Sarah Ann Baker at age 85, document her childhood and her family's overland journey from Illinois to Kansas Territory and then on to Colorado Territory in the 1860s. This unpublished manuscript begins with Baker's first recollection of being lovingly held by her grandfather and continues throughout her childhood until her marriage to Frank Baker at age 19. It was edited and prefaced by her daughter, Helen Baker Reynolds.
- Reynolds, Helen Baker (Daughter of Sarah Ann Baker) (Editor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
Donor has requested that he be contacted before copies are made. email@example.com
Biographical / Historical
Sarah Ann was born March 26, 1853 in Adams Co., Illinois, the youngest daughter of Charles and Mary Miller. The family moved west to Kansas Territory in 1860 and then to Colorado Territory in 1861. They settled on Bear Creek, renting a house not far from the sawmill where Charles found work. A few months later they moved to a home south of Golden City on a property with three lime kilns where Charles burned lime for market. In 1864 the family moved on to Washington Territory.
0.10 Cubic Feet (1 copy of manuscript)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Scanned copy of memoir donated to the Archives in 2014 by Tom McClintock (descended from Sarah's sister, Athe Miller).
Existence and Location of Originals
Scanned copy only. Original remains with family.
- Autobiographies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Baker, Sarah Ann (Author) -- Autobiographies
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Jefferson County (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Kansas Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneer children -- Autobiographies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Jefferson County Archives Repository
3500 Illinois Street
Golden CO 80401 United States