Special District Service Plans and Review Files, 1978-2012
Scope and Contents
This collection is not yet processed but there is a list available of all special districts included in the files.
Approved service plans of special districts in Jefferson County. A special district is a political subdivision of the state established to provide a public service (such as water, sanitation, or fire protection) within a specific geographic area. Because Colorado law limits the types of services that county governments can provide, special districts are created to fill the gaps in the services counties provide and those its residents desire. The majority of districts draw their boundaries in unincorporated county land, but residents of a municipality may be included in one or more districts.
When a special district is created, they are required to submit a service plan that outlines the services they will provide. The service plan also includes a financial plan for the procurement of land and facilities that may be necessary to provide the services. Service plans must be submitted to the Board of County Commissioners for approval. After board approval and a successful election creating the district, the service plan, along with a certified court order organizing the district, is filed with the county Clerk and Recorder and the state’s Division of Local Government.
(Description from https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dola/special-districts-0, accessed 11/10/2015)
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
27.35 Cubic Feet (27 Record Boxes and 1 letter-sized document box)
Language of Materials
Arranged alphabetically by name of special district.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
One small box of special district service plans was found in the Archives office with no documentation. The majority of the collection was transferred from from Planning and Zoning's storage list number 1266, Boxes 1-10; SL 282, Boxes 1-12; SL 185, Boxes 28-29, and 3 sample boxes from their office after they digitized the files and the originals were to be destroyed.
- Fire protection districts -- Jefferson County (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sanitary districts -- Jefferson County (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Special districts -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Records (documents) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Water districts -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Records (documents) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Colo.). Planning and Zoning Department (Organization)
- Jefferson County (Colo.). Clerk and Recorder. Recording (Organization)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Jefferson County Archives Repository
3500 Illinois Street
Golden CO 80401 United States