Poor Farm and Pauper Records, 1893-1939
Scope and Contents
Records of aid provided to the county's poor by Jefferson County government.
Registers of the Poor may include name, address, nationality, where born, when person came to Colorado, age, sex, aid given (groceries, rent, coal, burial, etc.), whether sent to Poor Farm or hospital, how long supported, dollar amount, cause of poverty, and date of discharge.
The Pauper Record book is divided into sections: County Farm; Pauper and Mother's Compensation; Blind Benefit; and Hospital, and lists aid provided.
Miscellaneous documents include hospitalization agreements (signed by the beneficiary of hospital assistance that reimbursement would be made to the County within 90 days following discharge, showing address and signature of beneficiary); miscellaneous correspondence and notes; Record of County Poor; Statements of Expenditures for Relief of the Poor (monthly reports by the Superintendent of the Poor to the Board of County Commissioners listing names of people at the Poor Farm and others assisted, with type of relief (groceries, coal, medical, etc.) and dollar amounts); and copies of the Welfare Organization Appropriation Acts.
The Blind Benefit Record Book lists name of beneficiary and amount of benefits paid.
The Hospital Welfare Payment Ledger is a log of hospital charges and reimbursement payments made.
- Record Keeping: 1893-1939
- Jefferson County (Colo.). Board of County Commissioners (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
1.94 Cubic Feet (5 Volumes, 1 box)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Archives with various transfers from the Clerk and Recorder's office in 1998, 2010 and 2015.
Processed by Ronda Frazier in 2017.
- Account books Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Almshouses -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Account books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- County government -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Financial records Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Government aid -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Records (Documents) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Colo.). Superintendent of the Poor -- Records (Documents)
- Jefferson County (Colo.). Clerk and Recorder. Recording (Organization)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Jefferson County Archives Repository
3500 Illinois Street
Golden CO 80401 United States