Public Health Birth and Death Registration Card File, circa 1880-1989
Scope and Contents
This collection is a card catalog of birth and death registrations for Jefferson County. These cards are simply an index created years ago for internal use by the Vital Records office and are NOT official records.
Birth registrations include baby's name, date of birth, father's name, mother's maiden name, and in the case of the earliest cards, the book and page number in which the birth was recorded.
Death registrations list only the person's name, any nicknames used, date of death and sometimes book and page where the death was recorded.
- Existence: circa 1880-1989
- Jefferson County (Colo.). Health Department (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
Birth records older than 100 yrs. are open to everyone unless the person is still alive. Death records older than 75 yrs. are open to everyone. These restrictions do not apply to immediate family members. An immediate family member is defined as a parent; sibling; child by blood, adoption or marriage; spouse; grandparent or grandchild.
Because these cards are filed alphabetically rather than chronologically, these boxes cannot by accessed by the public. Names can only be lookedup by the archivist.
34.85 Cubic Feet (41 Card file boxes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred to the Archives in 2016 by Jefferson County Public Health.
Existence and Location of Originals
Jefferson County Public Health's Vital Records office issues birth and death certificates, as well as burial permits, as mandated by Colorado State law. They can provide official state-issued birth certificates for any birth occurring in the State of Colorado from 1903 to present. https://www.jeffco.us/2083/Birth-Death-Certificates
Processed by Ronda Frazier and Grace March in 2018.
- Birth registers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Death registers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Indexes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indexes (reference sources) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Registers of births, etc. -- Jefferson County (Colo.) -- catalog cards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Jefferson County Archives Repository
3500 Illinois Street
Golden CO 80401 United States