Bear Creek Toll Road Ledger, 1886-1889
Scope and Contents
This Bear Creek Wagon Road Company ledger book lists the date, name of traveler, amount charged for toll, and total amount collected per day for passage on the toll road. It is for the period of December 27, 1886 to January 1889 while being operated by Jefferson County. At the back are lists of monthly expenses incurred for 1887.
Conditions Governing Access
Archives collection material is non-circulating, requires staff retrieval and is available for use by appointment in the reading room.
Biographical / Historical
The Bear Creek Wagon Road Company was incorporated in 1874 to operate a toll road running from Morrison in Jefferson County along Bear Creek to Hick's Mill in Clear Creek County. Responsibility for the road was handed over to the Jefferson County Board of County Commissioners in 1886 after the road washed out several times due to its location in the bed of the gulch. The County operated it as a toll road until 1889.
0.10 Cubic Feet (One bound volume)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred to the Archives in 2015 by the Colorado State Archives.
- Account books Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Bear Creek Wagon Road Company (Jefferson County, Colorado) -- Account books
- Jefferson County (Colo.). Board of County Commissioners
- Record books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Roads -- Colorado -- Jefferson County -- 19th century Subject Source: Local sources
- Toll roads -- Colorado -- Jefferson County -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description